We are college sophomore students taking up Mass Communication at St. Scholastica's College - Manila. Composed of five pretty teenyboppers namely, Laiza, Mars, Yin, NiƱa, and Lloyd.

Monday, September 26, 2011

MANILART 2011: Identifying Filipinos' Identities



On August 25, 2011, Thursday, we went to Bonifacio Global City, Taguig for the ManilArt exhibit. It was my first time to go there and witness Philippine art displays. I bought a poster same as the one above worth a hundred-fifty pesos there for souvenir. :)

Philippine art is very influence to the youth like me. It reflects of our culture, tradition, heritage, history, and beliefs in several aspects. From Taft Avenue going to Taguig, my groupmates and I traveled together. Our long travel alone became a bonding time to us and spent that day with full of enthusiasm. My unforgettable moment going there would be the moment when we almost lost our way going to the destination. I have never been afraid because I know that we would help each other on making our way to the right path as a team. Luckily, in the bus, the bus driver guided us so we arrive to the exhibit. I felt the feeling of accomplishment of getting there. Ha-ha! Amazed, mesmerized and adored – the three reactions I encountered from myself upon seeing the artworks.



CHIZ MHIZ by Crap
I can say that the artwork shown above is well-expressed. It woke my nerves up because I saw that big Chiz Whiz look-alike bottle cap with the ears below it which made the appearance of the artwork meaningful to the viewers. For my own point of view according to my own interpretation, the artwork makes us realize that a rumor (Chiz Mhiz cap) spreads out very quick which makes it available to the listening ears of the crowd. Several ears could hear and create meanings depending on their own beliefs. Craft became Crap – rumors are truly products of crap and not of craft. It is a waste of time to discuss about circumstances or information which are unverified.

If I will be asked to make a film using this painting as inspiration, my story would be about a public figure that is talked about just because of one huge rumor he/she encountered. The spreading of his/her controversy is uncontrollable for the reason that it reaches the public and travels through different channels of communication.



COW LOUIS VUITTON 
I like the artwork because the first impression that came into my mind is about the campaign for animal rights. It makes me feel glad that artists also express their stand through the use of their artworks in order that people will come to realize the importance of animals in our daily lives. It may help to reduce the consumption of the limited animals which are turned into branded bags like Louis Vuitton and all that.
If asked to make a film using this as an inspiration, I would make a film that would open the eyes of the human race to the abuse that is being made to animals like cows, snakes, bears, etc. The scenario would focus on the availability of these creatures which are scarce. In the end, people will become aware of the significance of animals in our daily living.



(Credits to Annie Mae dela Cruz for the ManilArt photographs)




XOXO, Laiza \(- -,)/

No comments:

Post a Comment