We are college sophomore students taking up Mass Communication at St. Scholastica's College - Manila. Composed of five pretty teenyboppers namely, Laiza, Mars, Yin, NiƱa, and Lloyd.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Radio stations


As part of our requirement for our major class, we visited radio stations for AM (Amplitude Modulation) and FM (Frequency Modulation). This isn’t my first time so I already had an idea on what to see and expect. I visited radio stations way back in high school and I even tried speaking on air. I think AM and FM are somehow the same, except for the programs they have. For FM, their programs are entertaining- music, games, and news, but informal. For AM, their programs were meant to deliver news. It is formal compared to FM. Another difference I’ve noticed was the Hertz. FM have higher Hertz, like 101.9 and AM has lower Hertz like 558. This is because, I think, FM radio requires longer waves compared to AM radio.
So the first radio station to visit was Tambayan, 101.9 FM.
 
This experience was great because we got to see DJ Charlie, and he was really kind. He was accommodating and he really made us feel welcome. He told us that what he was doing is not a job but a career because he loves talking and he enjoys the things he does as a DJ.
He also told us that he wasn’t a graduate of Mass Communication so he didn’t expected, or rather he never  thought of becoming a DJ. It was his skill and passion that brought him to this kind of profession.



Since we are Mass Communication students, we are asked to observe the things being done in a radio station. What I first noticed was the place. I’ve been to different radio stations and I can say that this one is among the best. It is clean and it is quite huge compared to other stations I’ve visited. The aura is really like of a ‘tambayan.’ Next were the gadgets. It is like the one we have at St. Scholastica’s. It is high-tech I must say. The ones I’ve seen before were big and were hard to control. 

Before we leave, we were allowed to take pictures on his chair as if we were the DJs. It was really great. We’ve seen him talking on air and he told us that it was called “Creative Adlib” usually done in the afternoon. It was plain adlib- greetings, time check, a little “kulitan” with the people inside the station then the music will play again.

 Next was the AM station, DZXL.


As expected, AM radio is more formal rather than FM so we were asked to give our letter before entering the station.
The place is quite different from FM radio stations because its aura is gloomy. For me, AM radio isn’t enjoyable unless you really want news. I think, I wouldn’t listen to AM radio if not for news. AM radio will give us formal and reliable news. Well, AM also offers music and stuff, but their music are old. I tried listening to AM for music but I ended up going back to FM because I can’t recognize their music anymore. They play kundiman and the like so I don’t really know it. Even my dad who is 43 years old doesn’t know the music they are playing.
I think the oldies will enjoy listening to AM. (laughs)
What I observed this time is the way they deliver the news. Seeing them in actual made me realize how great they are, because when I listen, it’s as if I am listening to a different person ( parang hindi sila yung nagsasalita ). It’s really cool. I am amazed by the way they are doing their work. They speak fast but clear. They are fluent, they speak straight.



So that was my experience for AM and FM radio. :)
Credits to Czarina Atienza for some of the photos.
NINA <3




No comments:

Post a Comment